Monday, April 2, 2007

Naval Academy Graduate Takes Kids Out Of School

“Traditional schools can not deliver the quality of education I demand for my kids”

As a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, I was fortunate enough to receive the best education that the United States has to offer. The Class of 1984 had roughly 12,000 applicants, accepted 1,100 and only 100 of those were women. It was sheer determination that enabled me to endure the rigors of Annapolis and graduate as one of 64 women in our class.

As a mother of four children, I wanted the same standard of education for my own family. Unfortunately, the public schools can not deliver the quality of education that I demand for my kids. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2005 only 23% of high school seniors performed at or above “proficient” at mathematics.

I spent 20 years in the naval service, circumnavigating the world on five different ships. I have seen first hand that the world is rapidly changing and that traditional schools are not preparing our children for these changes.

Instead of driving a multi-million dollar war ship loaded with cruise missiles through the Straits of Hormuz, I now drive a mini-van loaded with car seats through American suburbia. My new mission is to provide my children with an education that is relevant and one that will enable them to compete in this ever changing world.

To accomplish this mission I had to home school. Homeschooling allowed my husband and I to pack up the four kids, four dogs, and three guinea pigs and move here to Scottsdale where I have been privileged to work with the Rich Dad company and expose my children to the "real world" of business. My work here has also enabled me to share the message of financial literacy and freedom to thousands of other home schoolers around the world.

No comments:

2007 RICHDAD'S HOMESCHOOL