Monday, March 10, 2008

Homeschooling Illegal in California



Homeschooling parents must now be certified by the state of California in order to teach their own children. So says Judge H. Walter Croskey of Los Angeles in a new ruling published February 28, 2008. California Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, opposes this ruling.

Looks like California is retreating back to the Dark Ages. I went through this scenario way back in 1981 when I was denied permission by a Colorado school district to homeschool my own children because I did not have an official state teaching certificate. I took a few college courses to become state-certified and then permission was granted. I was automatically qualified! Fortunately, the emerging homeschool group worked with the state to eventually overturn such nonsense.

California should deal with individual abuses of freedom rather than outlaw the entire homeschooling movement. Michael Farris, president of HSLDA (Homeschooling Legal Defense Association) says, "At the heart of this case is a distrust of parents."

Please join HSLDA's petition to oppose this ruling.

No comments:

2007 RICHDAD'S HOMESCHOOL